Debating



Shaykh Ubayd Al-Jaabiree mentioned the following narration:
It is narrated from Imaam Maalik ibn Anas, may Allaah have mercy upon him, that a man from the people of desires used to walk behind him and say: “O Aboo Abdullaah! Debate with me. O Aboo Abdullaah! Debate with me (just one) word! O Aboo Abdullaah! Hear from me a word!”
He would point with his hand saying: “No, not even half a word.”
He would say: “O Aboo Abdullaah! Debate with me, and if you overcome me then I will follow you, and I overcome you then you will follow me.”
The Imaam, may Allaah’s Mercy be upon him, was sharp, intelligent, and wise. He turned to him and said: “And if a third man should come and overcome us?”
He said: “Then we will follow him.”
He said: “Is it that every time a man comes to us who is more skilled in debating than (another) man then we will leave that which Jibreel brought to Muhammad ﷺ?”
Al-Khateeb reported it in Sharf As-haabil Hadeeth pg. 22 no. 1

Comments

Popular Posts